Euglycemic Diabetic Ketoacidosis in Pregnancy
- Author(s): Garcia de Alencar, Júlio César;
- Wiebelling da Silva, Geovane;
- Correa da Costa Ribeiro, Sabrina;
- Meirelles Marchini, Júlio Flavio;
- Brandao Neto, Rodrigo Antonio;
- Possolo de Souza, Heraldo
- et al.
Published Web Locationhttps://doi.org/10.5811/cpcem.2019.9.43624
The clinical presentation of diabetic ketoacidosis in pregnancy (DKP) is similar to that observed in nonpregnant women, although reports suggest the presenting blood glucose level may not be as high. It is hypothesized that lower, maternal fasting glucose levels are a result of both the fetus and the placenta consuming glucose. We report the case of a 38-year-old woman gravida 2, para 0, abortion 1 with type 1 diabetes who had euglycemic diabetic ketoacidosis and review the literature on DKP, with a focus on diagnosis, treatment, and monitoring of the mother and fetus.