Skip to main content
eScholarship
Open Access Publications from the University of California

The Dangers of Barbecuing: An Interesting Case of a Foreign Body in the Throat

  • Author(s): Sicari, Vincent R.
  • Pepe, Joseph
  • Cardenas Jr, Alfonso C.
  • Zabbo, Christopher
  • et al.
Abstract

Swallowing of foreign bodies (FB), and sensation of such in the throat, is a common complaint in the emergency department setting, with roughly 80,000 visits in 2010 for FB ingestion.1 Grill wire brushes are a rarely reported, accidental FB ingestion, although recent literature suggests that it is more common than initially thought.2 This is a report of a female with acute onset odynophagia after a meal, with a normal laryngoscopic exam that used flexible fiberoptics. Evidence of a metallic linear density was present in the retropharynx on computed tomography imaging, most consistent with a wire from a grill wire brush.

Main Content
Current View