Skip to main content
eScholarship
Open Access Publications from the University of California

Gastric Perforation During MRI After Ingestion of Ferromagnetic Foreign Bodies

  • Author(s): Glover, Nicholas M.;
  • Roten, Ryan
  • et al.
Abstract

Case Presentation: A 65-year-old male with schizophrenia and intellectual disability ingested what was reported to be two AA batteries, prior to a scheduled magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) study. He developed severe abdominal pain and presented to the emergency department the following day with hypovolemic/septic shock. General surgery retrieved two metal sockets and a clevis pin from the stomach prior to surgical repair of a gastric perforation. This case highlights a rare yet critical outcome of ingesting ferromagnetic foreign bodies prior to an MRI study.

Discussion: Medical literature on this subject is scarce as indwelling metal foreign bodies are a contraindication to obtaining an MRI. Yet some patients with indwelling metallic foreign bodies proceed with MRI studies due to either challenges in communication such as age, psychiatric/mental debility, or unknowingly having an indwelling metal foreign body. In this case, the patient surreptitiously ingested metal objects prior to obtaining an MRI.

Main Content
For improved accessibility of PDF content, download the file to your device.
Current View