Skip to main content
eScholarship
Open Access Publications from the University of California

UC Davis

UC Davis Previously Published Works bannerUC Davis

Monitoring selected monomeric polyphenol composition in pre- and post-fermentation products of Vitis vinifera L. cv. Airén and cv. Grenache noir

  • Author(s): Guchu, E;
  • Ebeler, SE;
  • Lee, J;
  • Mitchell, AE
  • et al.
Abstract

A mass balance approach was used quantify select polyphenols in pre- and post-fermentation products resulting from the fermentation of Vitis vinifera cv. Grenache noir and Airén. For Grenache noir, the overall mass recovery was 102.7%. The main products were wine (78.3%), pomace (8.5%), lees (4.2%), and rachises (3.4%). Pomace was a rich source of all identified polyphenols. Lees sorbed significant amounts of gallic acid, catechin, epicatechin, malvidin-3-O-glucoside, malvidin-3-acetylglucoside, quercetin-3-O-glucoside, and quercetin. An approximately 200% increase in the total amount of gallic acid occurred during fermentation. For the Airén grapes, the overall mass recovery was >90%. The pomace, rachises, juice solids after settling, and lees constituted ~50% of the total mass of products obtained; pomace alone accounted for 40% of the total product mass. Over 90% of the total amount of gallic acid, catechin and epicatechin and ~50% of the quercetin-3-O-glucoside were found in the pomace.

Many UC-authored scholarly publications are freely available on this site because of the UC's open access policies. Let us know how this access is important for you.

Main Content
For improved accessibility of PDF content, download the file to your device.
Current View