Before submitting, check that:
1. The submission has not been previously published, nor is it being considered for publication by another journal (or an explanation has been provided in a cover letter).
2. Any third-party-owned materials used have been identified with appropriate credit lines, and permission obtained from the copyright holder for all formats of the journal.
3. All authors have given permission to be listed on the submitted paper and satisfy the authorship guidelines.
4. The submission is provided as a single PDF file, containing all tables and figures
5. All DOIs for the references have been provided, when available.
6. Tables and figures are all provided in the submitted PDF and correctly cited in the text.
7. Figures/images have a resolution of at least 300dpi and are included in the main manuscript file being submitted.
8. The author(s) agree to edit their text to adhere to the stylistic and bibliographic requirements outlined in the Author Guidelines, should the paper be editorially accepted.
9. All references to the author(s) have been removed from the paper. Aside from omitting the author’s name, this entails only referring to your own work in the third person (do not use ‘Author 1’ or a similar replacement for your own name), and removing your name and any additional metadata from the document’s properties.
10. Author names are removed from the manuscript files (following the instructions to ensure blind peer review).
11. The maximum word count has been adhered to: 3000 words for brief reports and 15,000 words for regular reports, excluding references. Registered reports follow the same constraints: 3K for a brief registered report and 15K for a regular registered report.
12. A data availability statement is included stating where experimental data and analysis code can be found. When it is not possible to share research data publicly, this restriction should be clearly stated. Please consult the policy on Open data and ethics for more information.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).