*Please note that due to a considerable backlog of submissions and staffing transitions, Ufahamu will not be accepting new article submissions after September 1, 2020. If you have submitted an article via email before this date, your work will be considered for publication in our next initial review this fall. Our resources are currently directed toward the publication of the journal's upcoming issues in the 2020-2021 academic year. We will update this post when review of new article submissions resume. To submit work for the arts section or to request a book for review, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.*
We encourage our readers to submit poetry, fiction, scholarly articles, interviews, commentaries, political or economic analyses, and review articles. You may submit your work to Ufahamu: A Journal of African Studiesvia email at email@example.com.
Our online submission process now requires that manuscripts be submitted via emailin two separate attachments to ensure anonymity of the review process and appropriate formatting.
-The title, abstract, and author information should be attached as a stand-alone file (in Microsoft Word).
-The main text must be submitted as its own Microsoft Word document and should not include information identifying the author(s) or their institutional affiliations.
- The submission should not exceed 25 pages double-spaced, 12 Times New Roman font, one-inch margins.
- The title must be centered and bolded.
- Abstracts (400 words or less) should directly follow the title. If applicable, all subheadings should be bolded.
- Main text should be left-justified.
- Block quotes (if applicable) should be indented at .5 inches. Please do not include page numbers or other headers or footers.
- Submissions must include a bibliography (not inclusive of the 25 page limit). Ufahamu: A Journal of African Studies uses the Chicago Manual of Style (with endnotes) as its publication style guide. Endnotes are required and must abide by these guidelines.
Ufahamu: A Journal of African Studiesonly accepts original and unpublished work. Authors retain the copyright to material they publish in Ufahamu: A Journal of African Studies, but the journal cannot re-publish material that has been published elsewhere, and does not accept papers that are simultaneously submitted to other journals. Since we publish two issues per year, we continuously accept submissions. Though we occasionally publish special, thematic issues, most issues treat a broad range of topics. So, please, feel free to submit all of your African-related work. If you have any further questions, you may contact the editors at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Book Review Submissions
Book reviews should be limited to 750-1000 words. For more information on submitting a book review, or requesting a book to review, please visit this link.
If you are submitting anything relating to artwork, arts, art-review, film, music, performance, exhibition review etc. please submit it to email@example.com.