The New York Profile: A review of New York's tobacco prevention and control program
Partners identified the following strengths and challenges of New York’s tobacco control program:
• The experience and leadership of the DOH TCP Director was a major strength of the program.
• Clean indoor air efforts throughout the state were also a strength.
• Partners were concerned about the security of funding due to the large state and city budget deficits.
• The highly politicized DOH environment and slow grant process were viewed as barriers to the program.
• Little support from state policymakers and the influence of the tobacco industry made implementing a comprehensive program challenging.