Center for Spatial Studies
Future Directions in Spatial Demography, Position Papers
- Author(s): Center for Spatial Studies (UCSB), Population Research Institute (Pennsylvania State University)
- et al.
More than 40 researchers participated in a 2-day meeting on future directions in spatial demography (Santa Barbara, Dec. 2011). Each participant prepared a position paper that addressed such questions as the following:
• How are demographers measuring place and the interrelationships among places?
• How can demographers harness emerging developments in the generation of geospatial data (e.g., volunteered geographic information and crowd-sourced data)?
• How can new measures be validated for use in neighborhood and contextual research?
• What visualization and spatial analytical methods make up the current tool kit of the spatial demographer?
• What new methodological developments in spatial analysis are possible in the next five years and how might these be integrated into mainstream demographic research?
• What are the training challenges to the enhancement of future research in spatial demography?
• What research priorities will best advance the applicability of spatial demography to address issues in reproductive health.