The UC Discovery Grant promotes collaborations between University of California researchers and industry partners in the interest of supporting cutting-edge research, strengthening the state’s economy, and serving the public good. Research projects are jointly funded by a UC Discovery Grant and an industry sponsor matching contribution, forging partnerships and innovative collaborations.
Goals & Funding Priorities:
- Advance knowledge through supporting high-quality research relevant to California’s economy
- Build lasting relationships between UC researchers and industry partners to enhance the state’s economy and to help address critical problems facing California
- Enhance student training to prepare California’s future workforce and industry leaders, and position California for international competitiveness in emerging areas
- Accelerate the transfer of research discoveries and technological advancements to California industry to benefit the public
- UC Discovery Grants are open to all research fields and emphasize potential for rapid translation and commercialization of technological advancements that benefit Californians. Proposals are evaluated for research excellence and innovation, qualifications and engagement of personnel, and benefits to the California economy and the public good.
Benefits to California and the California economy include:
- Accelerating innovation in California and creating the foundation for new technologies and products
- Growing California’s skilled workforce and creating the foundation for new California jobs
- Increasing competitiveness of California companies, particularly to attract greater investments and retain jobs in California
- Establishing the foundation for creating new California companies