Open Access Policies
This is an open access journal, which means that all content is freely available without charge to the user or his/her institution. Users are allowed to read, download, print, search, or link to the full texts of the articles, or use them for any other lawful purpose, without asking prior permission from the publisher or the author. The Berkeley Review of Education does not have either article submission charges or article processing charges.
Manuscripts will be considered for publication on the basis of their advancement of important and current conversations around diversity and equity in education, their scholarly competence and originality, and their contribution to the journal's goals of critical analysis and interdisciplinary dialogue.
- Upon receipt, each manuscript will be read by the editorial board to determine its suitability for publication prior to peer review. Manuscripts that are either poorly prepared, of low technical quality, or that do not match the journal's objectives, will not be considered for peer review. Authors will be notified of the editorial board's decision regarding internal review.
- After initial approval by the editorial board, manuscripts are subject to a double-blind peer review by at least two readers selected from a list of scholars. Reviewers will be chosen according to their areas of expertise.
- Editors will review the reader reports and determine whether the manuscript should be (1) rejected, (2) returned to the author to be revised and resubmitted, or (3) accepted with minor changes.
- Manuscripts sent back to authors to be revised and resubmitted should be revised by the deadline provided. Failure to do so will result in the manuscript being considered as a new submission.
- The Editorial Board will make the final decision as to (1) whether or not a manuscript is ready for publication, and (2) if yes, which issue is the best fit for the manuscript.
- The BRE checks pieces for plagiarism before publication.
Rights to Authors
Authors retain copyright for all content published in the Berkeley Review of Education. However, authors grant to the journal the right to make available such content, in any format, in perpetuity. Authors may reproduce, in other contexts, content to which they possess the copyright, although in any subsequent publications the Berkeley Review of Education should be acknowledged as the original publisher.
Rights for the Berkeley Review of Education
The Berkeley Review of Education retains the rights the non-exclusive right to make content available in any format in perpetuity. While authors may reproduce their work in other contexts,content published in the journal will not be removed from the website even if later published elsewhere. Authors must agree to the terms of publishing in the journal listed in the author agreement.
Rights of California Digital Library
The California Digital Library has the right to view and display, store and copy (for preservation purposes), and distribute all eScholarship Repository content. All eScholarship Repository content may be browsed and downloaded at no cost and with no access restrictions. Once an article is published in an eScholarship Repository journal or peer-reviewed series, it may not be removed or changed.
eScholarship Repository Policies
Basic policies for the eScholarship Repository are delineated at http://repositories.cdlib.org/escholarship/policies.html