Bylaws, Policies & Procedures of MedJEM
- The Mediterranean Journal of Emergency Medicine & Acute Care (MedJEM) is a periodic peer-reviewed, open-access academic journal published by the Mediterranean Academy of Emergency Medicine (MAEM), a regional international chapter of the American Academy of Emergency Medicine (AAEM).
- MedJEM aims to serve the patient, the medical provider and the specialty of emergency medicine (EM) and acute care.
- MedJEM focuses on the advancement of emergency medicine & acute care in the Mediterranean region and internationally in nations where the field and the specialty of EM remain in an early or middle phase of development.
- Board of Trustees
- Advisory Council
- Editorial Review & Decision Board
- Technical Review & Publication Board
Board of Trustees (BOT):
This is the governing body of the journal.
- BOT members must be members of the MAEM &/or AAEM.
- BOT members will meet no less than once every 6 months.
- BOT members are expected to attend two annual meetings that will be prescheduled at the following annual conferences: MAEMC/MEMC (Mediterranean Academy of Emergency Medicine Congress/Mediterranean Emergency Medicine Congress) or AAEM congress. BOT members must attend in-person one of the two meetings. They can otherwise delegate an official representative from their organization who is deemed knowledgeable and current regarding MedJEM by the chair of the BOT.
- Appointment to the BOT is by invitation only. Members will include:
- MedJEM founders – They are eligible to serve as lifetime members of the BOT.
- MedJEM sponsoring societies, institutions & other bodies who have officially adopted MedJEM as their official medical journal.
One representative of every body that is invited to support MedJEM.
- Fifty percent of the voting authority will be proportionately assigned based on financial contributions to the development of MedJEM. This will be reviewed and calculated annually at the BOT meeting.
- The other 50% will be assigned and divided equally between the BOT members
- BOT members may be appointed by more than 1 sponsoring body to represent them in the MedJEM BOT. Voting authority will then accordingly be additive.
- Decisions pertaining to operations are passed through a simple majority. Amendments to the bylaws or BOT require a two third majority or more.
Appointment to the BOT is a privilege and will be reviewed annually. Failure to provide presence and contribution to the BOT may result in termination of appointment and/or termination of the agreement between MedJEM & the sponsoring body.
The Executive Committee of the BOT will consist of a chair, vice-chair, secretary and treasurer. The election of the executive committee will be held once every 3 years.
The Board of Trustees will need to approve all major journal decisions – including:
- Editor-in-Chief & Deputy Editor Selection
- Journal Mission & Vision Statement, Bylaws, Policies & Strategies
- Terms of periodic, scheduled or emergency reviews of its leadership
- MOUs, Contracts & Agreements
- Budgets & Financial reports
- Members of this board provide guidance and ideas to the editors and promote the journal.
- They can help direct contributors and contributions to MedJEM.
- However, they do not have a primary role in the reviewing process and article selection.
- They have no meeting or organizational membership requirement.
- The BOT reviews Advisory Council membership every 3 years.
Policies & Procedures:
- Membership in AAEM &/or MAEM is required for more than 50% of the Associate Editors.
- A minimum of 80% of the Editorial Board must have their primary academic affiliation in nations where EM is in an early or middle phase of development.
- Nations where EM is considered in an advanced phase of development include but are not limited to:
- United Kingdom
- BOT members: will meet no less than once every 6 months. They are expected to attend two annual meetings that will be prescheduled at the following annual conferences: MAEMC/MEMC or AAEM congress. BOT members must attend in-person one of the two meetings. They can otherwise delegate an official representative from their organization who is deemed knowledgeable and current regarding MedJEM by the chair of the BOT.
- Editor-in-Chief: will meet in-person with the BOT no less than once every 6 months. She/he is expected to attend the two annual BOT meetings that will be prescheduled at the following annual conferences: MAEMC/MEMC or AAEM congress.
- Deputy Editors: will meet no less than once every 12 months. They are expected to attend in-person the annual prescheduled meeting alternating at the following conferences: MAEMC & MEMC.
- Associate Editors: are invited to meet once per year.
- Advisory Council, Reviewers & Section Editors as well as members of the Technical Review & Publication Board: have no meeting attendance requirements.
- Includes organizations, societies, institutions or other bodies of relevance to the field of Emergency Medicine & acute care
- List includes but is not limited to:
- MAEM (Founder): Lisa Moreno, MD, FAAEM
- American University of Beirut (AUB): Eveline Hitti, MD, FAAEM
- GREAT Italy: Salvatore DiSomma, MD
- LAEM: Amin Kazzi, MD, FAAEM, MAAEM
- LSEM: Amin Kazzi, MD, FAAEM, MAAEM
- MENATOX: Ziad Kazzi, MD, FAAEM
- University of California, Irvine (UCI): Shahram Lotfipour, MD, FAAEM
- WestJEM: Mark Langdorf, MD, MHPE, FAAEM