Skip to main content
- Submission should present original, previously unpublished materials.
- Essays should use the author-date format of the Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition.
- Manuscripts should be double-spaced, including all notes and the Works Cited. Use a 12-point font and 1" margins all around.
- References to primary or secondary sources should be cited within the main text, e.g. (Dinshaw 32) or “as Dinshaw argues …” (32).
- These references should be keyed to a Works Cited page at the end of the essay. See sample entries below.
- Footnotes should be used sparingly.
- Use consistent spelling (either American or British).
- Use consistent single- / double-quotation formats.
must obtain high quality images (and any relevant permissions) if they
wish to use illustrations. We recommend authors take advantage of
options that do not require permissions:
- Translate all foreign-language quotations.
- Replace Latin abbreviations with English equivalents.
- Consider if you wish to have your essay evaluated according to a strict, double-blind review process. If so, please anonymize your essay and indicate your decision in your submission e-mail.
Works Cited (examples)