Skip to main content
Author Guidelines revised February 7, 2022
- Submission should present original, previously unpublished materials.
should use the author-date format of the Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition.
References to primary or secondary sources should be cited within the main
text, with the year following the author’s name or with a parenthetical
citation with the following (last name year of publication, page number).
references should be keyed to a Works Cited page at the end of the essay.
- Works Cited should include all entries, whatever the medium, alphabetized in a list. In other words, do not divide between print and online sources. Relatedly, the access date for online sources not needed unless the website is undated.
- Works Cited should include the DOI for journal articles.
- Footnotes should be used sparingly.
- Use consistent spelling (either American or British).
- Use consistent single- / double-quotation formats.
- Manuscripts should be double-spaced, including all notes and the Works Cited. Use a 12-point font and 1” margins all around.
- Use a single-space after periods, commas, semi-colons, and colons.
- Only use quotation marks around words/ phrases that are quotations and that are followed by an in-text parenthetical citation. Avoid the casual use of quotation marks.
- Italicize foreign words and phrases.
- Translate all foreign-language quotations.
- Replace Latin abbreviations with English equivalents.
- Italicizing or underlining for emphasis should be done sparingly.
- Section breaks should be indicated by bolding and centering a subheading title.
- Authors must obtain high quality images (and any relevant permissions) if they wish to use illustrations. We recommend authors take advantage of options that do not require permissions:
- Use Creative Commons or similarly licensed content.
- Find works in the public domain.
- Apply Fair Use.
- Consider if you wish to have your essay evaluated according to a strict, double-blind review process. If so, please anonymize your essay and indicate your decision in your submission e-mail.